Essential oils are natural oils derived from plants. These highly concentrated oils have the same scent and therapeutic properties as the plants. It is estimated that humans have been using essential oils for 5000 to 6000 years! Our ancestors didn’t use the same essential oils as we know today. Their oils were likely not as pure as ours.
You might be wondering how essentials oils are produced. The process of obtaining essential oils from plants is called distillation. Different parts of the plants are used, like the stem, leaves, bark, flowers, roots, bark or seeds. Essential oil carries all the great characteristics of the plant from which it was extracted. This is why essential oils are so potent and therapeutic.
Because essential oils are so highly concentrated a little goes a long way. You don’t need to use a lot of your oil to reap the benefits.
What are the benefits of essential oils for your home?
Essential oils make your home smell great
I live in a house that’s been built around 1890, so it smells a bit… old. That is how some of my guests describe it. 😂 Also, I share my home with a (very messy and hairy) cat, so as you can imagine my apartment doesn’t always smell like roses.
Essentials oils are one of the natural products I use to make my home smell nicer, and it’s incredibly effective.
Essential oils remove odors
Essential oils are great for eliminating odors after cooking or when you have a smelly trash can. Using essentials oils is an affordable and effective solution to battle the problem of lingering smells in your home.
Refresh indoor air
A lot of essential oils act as an air freshener. They remove stale air and give your home a lovely scent.
Essential oils kill mold
Essentials oils are great for fighting mold. The best way to battle mold is to use a nebulizing diffuser. This diffuser doesn’t use water (mold loves moisture) to diffuse your oils. You can also use a spray bottle with oil and alcohol to apply it directly to the affected area.
Essential oils are great for cleaning your home
What is the best thing about finishing up cleaning your home? For me, it is how fresh and clean my house looks AND smells. There is just something very satisfying about having your home smell lovely after hours of hard labor. Essential oils are great for cleaning your home because they provide a natural and pleasant smell.
How you can use essential oils
Using an oil burner/heat diffuser
Chances are you are familiar with oil burners. These little ceramic burners are readily available in home decor stores. Oil burners offer a cheap option to diffuse your essential oils.
Unfortunately, the heat from the tea light you use to burn the oil will actually damage your oils. When using a burner to diffuse your oils, you won’t receive any of the therapeutic benefits, and that is a waste of your good quality oils. If your only goal is making your home smell nice and you have a small budget pick this type of diffuser, but if you also want to enjoy your oils’ therapeutic benefits, there are better options.
Using a nebulizing diffuser
Nebulizing diffusers are the best choice when you want to use essential oils for aromatherapy or to make your home smell nice. A nebulizing diffuser uses an atomizer to turn your essential oil into fine particles that get blown into the air. A nebulizer doesn’t use water to spread the essential oils through your home, and that is what makes this type of diffuser so great: your oils stay concentrated, and that maximizes the benefits of the product.
Ultrasonic diffusers mix water and oil to create a fine mist that gets released into the air. A significant advantage of an ultrasonic diffuser is that it also acts as a humidifier which is excellent in winter. The downside of the way an ultrasonic diffuser works is that it uses water and dilutes your oils.
Using cotton balls
You probably didn’t expect to see cotton balls in this list, but here they are! If you want to freshen up a room, you can just put a cotton ball with a few drops of essential oils somewhere in the room. This is a cheap and effective option.
11 other ways to use essential oils in your home
Essential oils smell amazing, and there are some great ways to use oils to make your home smell heavenly. Every room in your house can benefit from the use of essential oils.
Your home in general
- Do you have a smelly vacuum cleaner? Get your favorite essential oils and make it smell like roses, lemon or lavender. Just put 5-10 drops of your favorite essential oil in the bag or dust compartment.
- Thinking of painting your walls or ceilings? Add some essentials oils to your paint to act as a natural air detoxifier and neutralizer. Add 2-3 drops of peppermint or eucalyptus oil to your paint tray and you are good to go.
- Want to make your laundry smell wonderful? Use a few drops of your favorite essential oil on some dryer balls.
For your bathroom
- Does your bathroom smell a bit musty? Make your bathroom smell better by putting two drops of lime, lemon, or grapefruit oil on a cotton ball. Place the cotton ball behind your toilet.
- Your bathroom is the most common place for mold to grow. Tea tree oil is a great mold killer. Use a diffuser and add 3-5 drops of tea tree oil to it.
- Clean your shower with a mix of eucalyptus and tea tree oil. Get a spray bottle and make a blend of warm water, 4 drops of eucalyptus oil and 4 drops of tea tree oil.
For your living room
- Want to make your living room smell nice? Use a diffuser or humidifier and add a blend of clove, rosemary and orange oil to it. Your home will smell lovely!
There are some fantastic ways to use essential oils in your kitchen.
- Been cooking something with a strong smell? Put a pan on your stove and add water, 2-3 drops of clove, cinnamon or citrus. Let it simmer. This will get rid of the odor.
- Have a smelly trash can? Put two drops of tea tree and lemon oil on a cotton ball and place it at the bottom of your trash can.
- A great way to make your fridge smell fresh is by using 2-3 drops of lemon or grapefruit oil in the water you use to clean your fridge.
- Add a few drops of essential oil to your dishwasher soap.
The best essential oils for your home to start out with
Now you know how you can use essentials oils to make your home smell wonderful, you might be wondering what oils to buy.
Good quality essential oils can be a bit pricey, so we’d like to help you pick the right oils. It all depends on how you want to use your oils, but these five oils are excellent to start out with.
Lavender is a great oil to use when you want to freshen the air in your home. Use it in your water when mopping the floor or in a diffuser. It removes stale air and gives your home a calming scent.
Tea tree essential oil is a real powerhouse. It is incredibly versatile: you can use it to purify the air, as an all-purpose cleaner, to remove mold and as a disinfectant spray. As you can see, tea tree oil is a great oil to start out with!
This all-around oil is a great addition to your essential oil collection. Use it as a laundry detergent, to disinfect surfaces or as an air freshener.
I don’t know what it is about the smell of grapefruit, but it always reminds me of summer. Grapefruit oil doesn’t only smell great, it also has some amazing properties. You can use it to disinfect surfaces and to clean the air in your home. It eliminates unpleasant odors and makes your home smell nice and clean.
Who doesn’t love the smell of cinnamon? Its pleasant smell makes it a great air freshener for your home. Cinnamon is also a great oil to control mold growth.
What to look for when buying essential oils
When you are on the hunt for essential oils, you’ll be amazed by all the brands and price ranges. Be aware: there are a lot of synthetic oils on the market. Synthetic oils are not obtained from plants but made in a chemical plant. Keep in mind that synthetic oils don’t have the therapeutic properties of true essential oils.
Three good quality natural essential oil brands are:
- Edens Garden Essential Oils
- Aura Cacia Essential Oils
- NOW Foods Essential Oils
Want to learn more about how to benefit from essential oils?
Ultimate Bundles offers this amazing and massive bundle full of ebooks, courses, and templates on how to use herbs and essentials oils for your home, beauty, and cooking.